Sunday, September 21, 2008

Week 1

Week 1 was very boring....just like the last week. Only this time if we screwed up, we would be issued some intensive,or sometimes known as instructional, training (IT). IT consists of various exercises that are horrible for the human body. Though some are good like the sit-ups and push-ups, others are bad for the knees. WE always started off on that black line with my favorite (actually most hated) exercise, 4-count jumping jacks! An RDC's IT card would consist of:

Jumping Jacks (usually 40-50 reps)
Leg Lifts, Left Side (again, 40-50)
8-Count Body Builders (25-30)
4-Count Mountain Climbers (20-30)
4-Count Sit-ups (20-30)
Leg Lifts, Right Side (40-50)
Down...............................Up Push-ups (25 or so)

I changed my mind. Mountain Climbers and the very long down up push-ups are my least favorite 2. With this push-up they will not say up for a good 15 seconds and that gets very tiring.

Sometimes IT sessions also had Squats and Arm Circles thrown into the mix.

Moving on....the whole week was practice for the second week's test and inspections. We had bunk and locker drills every day. We had to fold and stow our gear perfectly and make our bunks with precision and care...all under a horrible time limit, but it wasn't that bad on the actual inspections. The first test's study materials were for uniforms and grooming, rate and rank recognition, Navy ships and aircraft, and first aid. I was made the Educational Petty Officer (EPO) for the division, so I was in charge of making everyone pass and helping those that didn't study a little harder. At the end of the week was our Baseline Physical Fitness Assessment (PFA). It wasn't counted against us if we failed. They just basically wanted to know where we were at and if we could perform the tasks required for the regular Navy Physical Readiness Tests (PRT's). My age and gender group consisted of a minimum of 46 push-ups, 54 sit-ups and a 12:15 mile and a half run. I passed my run and sit-ups but failed my puch-ups by 2. Two weeks without PTing hurt a bit and my rust showed. But I won't beat a dead horse. In a nutshell the first training week was folding clothes, making bunks, introduction to military drill (marching), a little PT, studying, cleaning, and that Baseline PFA.

No comments: